According to Prime Minister Mark Carney, a trade agreement with the United States may require Canada to accept specific tariffs. According to CBC News, he stated on Tuesday that “there’s not a lot of evidence right now” that the Trump administration would be prepared to abandon the tariffs entirely in any deal.
In French, the prime minister told reporters before a cabinet meeting in Ottawa that tariffs had been a part of all of Trump’s trade talks so far. US President Donald Trump declared last week that he will begin levying a new 35% tax on Canadian exports on August 1.
Since Trump took office in January, Canada and the US have been engaged in a trade war. Trump has imposed worldwide levies and targeted tariffs on Canada, which have hurt several Canadian industries. In response, Canada implemented its countermeasures.
Carney remained silent on Tuesday on his willingness to accept the levies in any agreement with the United States. He stated that he would only sign a deal “that’s in Canada’s best interest” during the G7 conference in mid-June. In addition, he said that if Ottawa and Washington were unable to reach an agreement, he would be prepared to implement more counter-tariffs.
Also Read:
Meet The Mavericks: Top 10 Leaders Leading the Future in 2025
Top 10 Global Women in Business for 2025 – Women’s Day Edition