Following the government’s decision to remove YouTube’s prior exception, Australia will implement the first social media ban in history for minors under the age of sixteen. The restriction, which is scheduled to begin in December and would restrict TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, X, and Snapchat, was supposed to exempt the video-sharing website.
Teens will still be able to watch YouTube videos under the restriction, but they won’t be allowed to create an account, which is necessary in order to contribute material or engage with the platform.
The Google-owned YouTube site has maintained that it “offers benefit and value to younger Australians” and that minors shouldn’t be prohibited from using it. In a statement on Wednesday, it said, “It’s not social media,
With Norway adopting a similar ban and the UK stating it is contemplating doing the same, world leaders are closely monitoring Australia’s regulations. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese told reporters on Wednesday, “Social media is doing social harm to our children, and I want Australian parents to know that we have their backs.”
He stated of the prohibition, “We know that this is not the only solution, but it will make a difference. According to Julie Inman Grant, Australia’s eSafety Commissioner, YouTube should be banned since it was “the most frequently cited platform” where kids between the ages of 10 and 15 encountered “harmful content” last month.
Also Read: