Yemen’s Houthi movement has confirmed that its self-declared Prime Minister, Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser al-Rahawi, was killed in an Israeli air strike earlier this week. The Iran-backed group said several senior officials also died when the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) struck the capital, Sanaa, on Thursday. The IDF described the target only as a Houthi “military site” and gave no further details.
The Houthis, who have controlled much of northwestern Yemen since seizing Sanaa in 2014, said Rahawi was killed along with several ministers, though most were not named. According to Saudi news outlet al-Hadath, those killed included the Houthis’ foreign minister and the ministers of justice, youth and sports, social affairs, and labour.
The office of Houthi president Mahdi al-Mashat confirmed that several other ministers were wounded, suffering “moderate to serious injuries.” It also announced that Deputy Prime Minister Muhammad Ahmed Miftah would assume Rahawi’s role. Rahawi, appointed in August 2024, was widely regarded as a symbolic leader rather than a key figure in the group’s military decision-making. The movement’s chief of staff, defence minister, and ultimate commander, Abdul-Malik al-Houthi, was not reported to have been among those killed in Thursday’s assault.
Also Read:
Glodi Ntoya’s Journey to Building an International Business
Delivering Sustainable and Innovative Solutions across Industries with Synergy: Safeen Raouf